Our Mission: Helping Ouray County youth explore the out of doors to foster personal growth and a compassionate world view.
The George Gardner Scholarship Fund (GGSF) provides financial assistance to Ouray County, Colorado youth who wish to pursue outdoor or experiential educational opportunities for personal and interpersonal growth.
The George Fund emphasizes and supports experiential learning opportunities outside of traditional educational settings for teens motivated to explore outdoor educational programs. We believe that profound learning is often facilitated by time spent in the mountains, deserts, rivers and oceans of the world. These experiences provide an arena for leadership development and other lifelong skills.
Examples of Funded Programs
- Ridgway High School Senior Outward Bound River Trip – Seniors embark on a five-day Outward Bound river trip through Cataract Canyon.
- Ridgway School Learn To Ski Program – GGSF helps defray the cost of lessons, transportation and equipment rental so every child may participate.
- Ridgway School Learn To Ice Climb Program – GGSF developed this unique outdoor adventure program for 9th graders and provides financial support to enable every student to attend.
- Ouray High School Outdoor Education Program – GGSF supports a variety of education program in outdoor settings.
- 1-Day Big Wall Training Program with a rock climbing guide from Peak Mountain Guides
- Self supported multi-day backpacking trip on the Colorado Trail
- Road Less Traveled service-learning trip to Costa Rica
- National Outdoor Leadership School Expedition
- 3-day Level 1 Avalanche Course
- Wilderness First Aid & Wilderness First Responder courses
- Any many other self designed adventures and service projects. . .
The GGSF is an non-profit organization that aspires to carry on George’s vision and educational philosophies.
To learn more about these youth and their stories visit our Blog.
To learn more about our scholarships and apply, go to our Scholarship Application page