The George Gardner Scholarship Fund (GGSF) provides financial assistance to Ouray County, Colorado youth who wish to pursue outdoor or experiential educational opportunities for personal and interpersonal growth.
GGSF emphasizes and supports experiential learning opportunities outside of traditional educational settings for teens motivated to explore outdoor educational programs. We believe that profound learning is often facilitated by time spent in the mountains, deserts, rivers and oceans of the world. These experiences provide an arena for leadership development and other lifelong skills.
GGSF also considers funding for scholarships to Ouray County graduating seniors for service organizations, internships or other nontraditional pursuits.
GGSF SCHOLARSHIPS & FUNDED PROGRAMS
- Outdoor and Experiential Education For Teens: (ages 14-19) Examples of funded programs include Outward Bound, National Outdoor Leadership School, accredited avalanche schools, guide programs and self-designed adventures.
- Ridgway High School Senior Outward Bound River Trip: An annual five day Outward Bound river trip through Cataract Canyon.
- Ridgway School Learn To Ski Program: GGSF helps defray the cost of lessons, transportation and equipment rental so that every child who wants to may participate.
- Ridgway School Learn To Ice Climb Program: GGSF created the program and provides financial support for instruction, equipment rental for 9th grade students who want to participate.
- The GGSF is an all-volunteer organization that aspires to carry on George’s vision and educational philosophies. The GGSF is a non-profit organization affiliated with the Telluride Foundation.